The mission of the Committee Wellness for the Pianist is three-pronged:
- To promote wellness among all musicians.
- To help prevent music-related injuries and psychological problems among student and professional pianists through education and dissemination of information.
- To provide resources on musician health and wellness issues. Topics receiving attention include:
- cultivating physical ease in playing
- developing mental clarity and focus during practice
- nurturing self-esteem
- promoting self-reliance
- encouraging physical and mental health
- fostering creativity and confidence
- broadening expressive potential
- employing practice and performance strategies that reduce the risk of pain or injury.
It is of crucial importance to deal with students as unique individuals, each with his or her own set of strengths and weaknesses. We do not merely teach a student to play an instrument; we are also fostering their personal growth. However, our training and experience lies in music and in teaching. In the event of a physical injury or mental problem, we should refer students to an appropriate health care provider.